st alphonsus speed dating chicago Children’s books are absolutely, positively my weakness. I simply cannot control myself when it comes to collecting, buying and stockpiling picture books. They are my addiction. It’s safe to say I probably love them even more than my kids do. I try to tell myself that there are worse addictions to have.
additional resources I love that as my kids are getting older we have been able to add audio books into the mix as well. They are perfect for in the car or even for quiet time at home. Even though my children are only 2 and 3, it is surprising the length of time they can listen for and also the complexity of the stories they love. As kids, my mom always had audio cassettes for in the car. We used to check them out of the library each week. It is one of my fondest memories from my childhood. My two sisters and I are all avid readers, and I truly believe our love of reading stemmed from our the enjoyment of reading and storytelling my parents instilled in us. It is definitely my goal as a mom to try and foster that same love of reading for my children.
bares conocer gente sevilla I have compiled a comprehensive list of audiobooks geared towards young children based on our family favourites. These are ones that not only my children adore, but so do I. And believe me, that is important when you start listening to everything on repeat! Our selection includes a wonderful mix of classic’s you likely recall from your own childhood as well as some lesser known, but equally captivating tales. Whether your family is new to listening to audiobooks, or you are looking to change up your regular rotation, I hope that some of these titles will spark your interest.
- Charlie and Lola – We have so many of Lauren Child’s books, the complete DVD collection as well as this audio book set. The stories of this brother and sister duo (with the appearance of an imaginary friend or two) are simply charming and entertaining.
- Harry and His Bucketful of Dinosaurs – Cute story about a boy who finds a collection of dinosaurs in his nan’s attic. He names them all and never leaves home without them.
- Paddington Bear – A classic by Michael Bond about an adorable bear who makes his way from Peru in to the loving home of the Brown Family.
- Winnie the Witch
– Cute tales about Winnie, a witch and her black cat Wilbur.
- Roald Dahl – Anything and everything Roald Dahl is a favourite for me. A little bit too advanced for my young children, but we have started with James and the Giant Peach and it was a hit.
- Katie Morag – We have several of the Katie books and just love them. And the audio books are great too. Set in Scotland, the tales follow Katie and her adventures on the Isle of Sturay.
- Boxcar Children – This was a family favourite from my childhood and I can hardly wait for my boys to listen to it. Perfect for any adventure loving family.
- Basketful of Kipper
– We own a handful of Mike Inkpen’s books as well as some of the Kipper DVD’s. The boys love this cute pup and so do I.
- A Year in Brambly Hedge – Cute tale of the mice of Brambly Hedge. Contains four stories and follows the mice on their adventures through each season of the year.
- The Gruffalo and Other Stories – What’s not to love about Julia Donaldson! Her books are wildly popular and I have to admit I am fond of the rhyming text. This 8 story set includes the Gruffalo, Snail and the Whale, Room on the Broom and many others.
- Four Tales from Percy’s Park – Another favourite around here is author Nick Buttersworth. His books are so charming, with beautiful illustrations. They feature Percy a park keeper and his animal friends.
- Alfie Gets in First
– I first picked up this book on a whim to later discover the author Shirley Hughes has written over 200 books! It follow Alfie and his family and their daily happenings. Definitely a keeper!
- Curious George – My son’s love these books and the audio collection is equally entertaining.
- Amelia Bedelia – She is a lovely, yet literal minded housekeeper who causes chaos wherever she goes.
- Mercy Watson – Mr and Mrs Watson just love their pet pig Mercy whom they treat like their child. Funny and cute, sure to be a favourite.
- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
– These stories have been around for ages, and for good reason. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle has the craziest solutions to children’s problems which are sure to have everyone laughing along.
- Pippi Longstockings – With no parents to tell her what to do, Pippi is always getting into mischief. These were some of my favourite stories as a kid.
- Magic Treehouse – These ones are new for us, but my 3 year old is loving them and always asking to start up where we left off. Bestselling books about a magical treehouse in the woods that transports these children on different adventures, whether it be a pirate ship, ancient Egypt or time of dinosaurs.
- Charlottes Web – One of my son’s just adores Charlotte’s Web. It is a classic that never gets old.
- Ralph S. Mouse Collection – Ralph the mouse is always on an adventure. This set includes all three adventures in one collection.